Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Jefferson City
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re getting ready to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and yours. You might be thinking about how you can personalize your house with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you consider home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a top priority, and we’ll show you how with our safety tips for new homeowners in Jefferson City.
Perform a safety review of your new Jefferson City property
Now that safety is at the forefront, discover what your new home has in place. To start, make sure you have operational fire alarms. Test all of them and replace batteries if necessary. Are carbon monoxide detectors on site? Did you find a water sensor downstairs? This is also an excellent time to upgrade door locks and check all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and get familiar with your new house.
Smart security tips for your Jefferson City home
Once you’ve done your preliminary inspection of safety alarms and locks, you can look into elevating your property’s safety. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Jefferson City.
- Opt for a new home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Jefferson City can do is install a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your property even when you’re away. You may view up-to-the-second video footage, operate door locks, and even speak with visitors on your front porch directly from your cell phone. You can custom-tailor your system with amazing security features like video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Update exterior lighting. Exterior lights with motion detectors are a great approach in discouraging possible invaders. You might even use them in conjunction with surveillance cameras. When a motion detector is triggered, it can signal your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have a clear view of your property from the interior? Are there oversized bushes and trees impeeding the view? Eliminate potential hiding spots for prowlers by keeping your yard well maintained. Your neighbors will be grateful for it as well.
- Meet folks in your community. Talking about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friendly with people nearby, they’ll be more prone to inform you if they detect anything suspicious. You might also join your area’s social media group if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you opt for an advanced smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by turning on smart lights at predetermined times. This is a great option when you’re at work or on vacation.